Copy of Back to School Essentials: 4-Week Series (NEW & IMPROVED)
This NEW & IMPROVED 4-week series uses tangible school items as metaphors to help students understand what it means to be a new creation in Christ.
This product, like all our resources, is a download item.
Are your junior high students ready to go back to school?
Are they really ready?
As school starts this fall, there are a few essentials you'll find every junior high student carrying with them: paper, locker combination, schedule and school map. These may be in printed or digital form, but they are all needed for a student to survive a day in the life of a new school year.
In the same way, there are a few essentials for a junior higher to not just survive, but thrive in their daily life of following Jesus.
Throughout the series, junior high students will discover:
- We need Jesus to guide and lead us through junior high.
- If we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior then we become a "New Creation"
- We will discuss what is a priority in our life, and where Jesus fits in our life.
- We will also discover the importance of Scripture Memory and how this will help us in our walk with Jesus.
- Series artwork for promotional purposes (cover slide and blank text slide)
- Lessons come in both Word & PDF format. Edit as needed and easily share with volunteers.
- Fun opening games
- Creative, relevant teachings
- Interactive small group activities
- Engaging small group discussion questions
Back to School Essentials Overview
Week 1: Paper
Bible: 2 Corinthians 5:15-17; Galatians 3:27-28; Romans 12:3-5
Bottom Line: Whether students are new to the building or returning for their last year in middle school, they should look at each year as a fresh start. In this lesson, we'll look at being "new creations" and how God gives us a new start.
Week 2: Lock Combination
Bible: Psalm 119:9-16; John 10:10
Bottom Line: Most students have a locker--some, this year, for the first time. Lockers store crazy amounts of stuff. There is even a company that will help you customize decorations for it! In this lesson we'll look at the importance of Scripture memorization, how it's different than cramming for a test, and a practical way your real locker can help.
Week 3: Schedule
Bible: Matthew 6:19-34
Bottom Line: Every student gets a schedule of classes. They want to see what they are studying, which teachers they have and who will be in class with them. This is a great opportunity for learning about priorities and time management. If they say Jesus is important, their schedule should reflect that.
Week 4: Map
Bible: Psalm 119:105-112; Exodus 20:1-17; Ephesians 4:29-32
Takeaway Point: Finally, we'll finish with the map. From the new student to the 8th grader finding a room they've never had a class in before, almost every student carries a map with them at the beginning of the school year. We'll talk about how the Bible guides us in everyday life--even in junior high/middle school.